Friday, November 11, 2011

Abundance We Can't See?

I'm reading Secrets of the Vine by Bruce Wilkerson and have had to re-evaluate my definition of abundance. John 15:2 shows Jesus teaching this principle to His disciples. I feel like I have viewed this from the wrong perspective for a long time. I also think it has served to cripple me in some areas of my spiritual life.

As a new ( again) mom, I sometimes feel constrained and unable to be fruitful in some areas, mostly in terms of doing things that produce outward results. Bit o live the author's revelation about good works. The author's wife, in her version of Secrets...For Women, takes this concept a step further in her illustration of ministering to a new mother in her neighborhood. In my former definition of abundance and fruitfulness, this wouldn't have counted. One person? A conversation? Really? Did she come to church? Did she accept Christ as a result of the conversation? But that's where I'm wrong. Jesus says in Matthew 25:4 that when we do good things to the "least of these", we do it unto Him. I would imagine that He received just as much glory in that simple act of service than He does when 100 souls are baptized at a meeting.

It's funny how we try to figure God put, to pigeon-hole Him into doing it our way instead of just following His lead. Life would be so much easier if we just followed, wouldn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment